WHAT IS A BIRYANI?
Biryani is basically rice cooked with meat in layers and on very slow heat or dum. There are many ways of preparing the biryani and each biryani has its own unique taste. Today we prepared a pakki-style Hyderabadi chicken biryani. This is basically rice and gravy cooked separately and layered together.
I usually make pressure cooker biryani as it is quick to make. I don’t make this elaborate biryani, unless an occasion. This pandemic lockdown doesn’t call for any occasion and we are treating ourselves every day. This is my brother’s fail-proof biryani recipe and this yielded a nice aromatic flavoured biriyani.
Today he was the chef in the kitchen and I became the sous chef. I chopped all the onions and gave all the ingredients to him. He pulled off this biriyani and was over by one o’clock, our usual lunchtime. We always tease him if his doctor profession doesn’t work out, start a biryani shop 😛
We didn’t take any step-by-step pictures but will upload them very soon. You can check the detailed recipe below.
Hyderabadi Chicken Biriyani
- Big Pot
For the Rice
- 2 cup Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 3 Green Cardamom
- 3-4 Cloves
- 5 Peppercorns
- 2 Cinamon
- 2 Bayleaf
- 1 Mace
- 3 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
For the Chicken Marination
- 700 g Chicken (Biriyani cut)
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 Cinnamon
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Bayleaf
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Homemade biriyani masala
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp Tumeric powder
- 4 Green chilli
- 100 g Curd
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- half Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tsp Oil
- 10 Strands Saffron soaked in milk(optional)
- Few drops Food colour(optional)
- 1 hand mint and coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Fried Onion( Air fried)
For the Rice
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30mins
- Take a large pot filled with water and let the water boil
- Once water starts to boil, add oil, salt, cardamom, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, Peppercorns, mace
- Drain the rice and to the boiling water
- Once the rice gets cooked 80%, drain the water using a sieve and keep aside.
For the chicken
- Mix chicken with cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, shahi jeera, star anise, Ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri chilli powder, green chilli, homemade biriyani masala, turmeric powder, curd, lemon juice, salt, mint leaves, coriander leaves.
- Marinate for an hour. You can marinate it overnight also.
Assembling the biriyani
- Take a heavy bottom pan, add oil and ghee. Then add onions and fry till they turn brown.
- Now add the marinated chicken and cook the chicken without adding any water.
- Once the chicken is cooked simmer the flame and spread the cooked rice over the gravy.
- Sprinkle food colour or saffron strands, ghee, fried onion and mint, coriander leaves on top of the rice. Close the pot with a lid.
For the Dum
- Take an iron dosa tawa and place it on the flame. once the tawa is hot, transfer the biriyani pot and simmer the flame.
- Keep a vessel filled with hot water over the lid and Keep this in a slow flame for 20mins
- Remove the lid and serve hot with raita and dalcha.
- Use old basmati rice for cooking and watch out while cooking the rice. The rice shouldn't be under or overcooked.
- Use a large pot with a thick bottom while cooking this biriyani. Make sure the flame is slow, else the biriyani will be burnt.
- I air-fried the onions for 15 mins in air fryer. You can fry it in oil too.
Do let me know if you tried this recipe!
To read more easy recipes CLICK HERE