Poha idly/aval idly/idly/rice rava idly/instant idly is made from idli rava/rice rava and poha. I stumbled into this recipe when I didn’t have anything to prepare breakfast. I had poha, curd and idli rava and mixed everything to make this recipe. This is an easy recipe, as it doesn’t need any grinding/soaking/fermenting.
Traditional idly batter requires grinding and fermenting. But this is a very quick-fix breakfast and you could fool anyone by saying it as idly.
These idly are so white, soft and spongy. I liked the texture very much and will make them often. I served with spicy onion and tomato chutney.
Instant Poha Idly
- idly cooker
- 1 cup aval/poha
- 1.5 cup idly rava
- 2 cup beaten curd
- pinch baking soda
- water as required
- salt to taste
- oil to grease idly moulds
- Rinse poha in water and drain the water. Add 1 cup of curd to poha and soak for 10 mins. If your poha is too soft, don't need soaking. you can mix curd and poha together.
- Now add 1.5 cup of idly/rice rava, 1 cup curd, and water as required.
- Let this mixture soak for 15 mins. The idly rava will absorb all the water.
- We will have a thick mixture and slowly add water to get a nice idly batter consistency, Add water slowly, we don't want the mixture to be too watery.
- Add some salt to taste. just before steaming add a pinch of baking soda and mix well.
- Don't rest the batter, grease the moulds, and pour the mixture in the idly plate.
- Steam for 10-15 mins in medium flame.
- Serve hot with any spicy chutney
- You can use any poha. Not necessary to use only white poha
- If you use thick poha, resting time will be a little long.
- You can store this batter in the fridge for the next day without adding baking soda.
- This batter requires no fermenting and this can be done in a jiffy.
Try this recipe and let me know how is it.
To read more easy recipes CLICK HERE