This is one of the common questions I get often. So I thought I will jot it down.
Choosing a kids book is quite a huge process. No two kid like the same book. Some like board books, some like paperbacks, some like bright pictures, some like interactive books and some like wordless books. According to your kid, you can pick a book and start reading.
Selecting appropriate books for your child will put them on the road to learning, build their vocabulary and object recognition skills. It sparks their curiosity about the world and creates wonderful memories of you both reading it together.
You can select a book from a library or online book store or pre-loved book store or thrift store. Reading reviews also helps in choosing a perfect book.
Before selecting books randomly ask these questions to yourself.
- Is that book age-appropriate for my child?
What will my kid learn from this book?
Are the illustrations appealing?
Will, it fascinates them?
Will the book build a basic literacy?
Is it a book apt for reading aloud?
- Is it economical?
Sometimes book covers are appealing and we pick them randomly without reading anything about them. Most of the times we get lucky and we enjoy the read. There are times we dislike them or it may not be perfect for our kid. Once we find our kids taste picking books is a breeze.
I have categorized books based on levels and what worked for us.
BOOKS FOR BABIES:
- For babies, less than 3 months pick books that are black and white in pages.
- These black and white images help to strengthen the eye muscles.
- Books should have fewer words and fewer pictures on each page.
- Perfect books are vinyl books are cloth books.
- They don’t get destroyed while they chew the books.
BOOKS FOR OLDER BABIES:
Reading from very young has lots of benefits. Few points to take care when choosing books for them are,
- Choose a bright colour and touch and feel books.
- Babies love to touch different textures and this helps them explore the sensory play.
- Choose rhyming and repetitive books. They love to listen to repetitive words and respond well.
- Sound books are perfect for babies who love exploring objects around them.
- Babies like to explore books by turning pages and touching them.
- Lift the flap books and pop up books are perfect for this age.
BOOKS FOR TODDLERS:
Toddlers will be in constant movement. Select books that are appealing to them and with bright pictures. Books which kindles their imagination is perfect.
- Choose books that have colourful pictures and fewer words.
- Interactive books are perfect to develop their literacy.
- A Wordless book is perfect for them to tell the story according to their imagination.
- Choose books with a story that says what will come next? Those help them to develop their imagination and their questioning skill.
- Any story with short length tends to attract them and hold their attention.
Few topics to pick are,
Choose concept books like animals, feelings, colours, numbers, shapes and letters, predictable text, rhymes and stories with funny-sounding words.
- You can also choose books about mealtime, potty time, park time, bedtime and any other routine too.
BOOKS FOR PRESCHOOLERS:
They are beginning to grow up and they tend to ask lots of questions. Any book with an interesting story is their cup of tea.
- Preschoolers enjoy books that have a lot of pictures, repetitions, and stories about themselves or other children their age.
- They like to hear the same book over and over again, While this may seem tiresome to the reader, it is very beneficial to the child’s learning.
- A good variety of books from different genres is also important to build their curiosity.
- Beautiful illustrations are fascinating for them and remember to choose a book with beautiful illustrations.
- We can read books with lots of topics at this age.
Few topics to pick are,
- Real-life stories like fire engines, animals, weather, Emotions, bulldozers, seasons, construction vehicles, farm animals, Underwater Animals, Insects, Dinosaurs etc.
- Stories about what animals do, how they help us and what sound they make are perfect for this age.
- Stories which has a repetition of sounds or words.
- ABC and counting books are perfect to introduce during this age.
- Books with pictures that almost tell the story.
- Interactive books, wordless books and sticker books are loved by them.
- Wipe and use books are also good for early writing.
- Few kids love asking questions. It’s perfect to introduce non-fiction books at this time.
Most importantly choose books that you both will enjoy together and not somebody suggested randomly in the social media. Don’t make the reading as a chore, Make it as fun.
WHERE DO I PICK BOOKS?
I love pre-loved book groups sold by a lot of independent booksellers who are usually staying at home mom. Apart from them, I wait for a sale in Amazon and Flipkart.
Few Indian publishers we love are,
Few Facebook / Instagram group I love are,
Let me know how you select books for your kid and when did you start reading to them.
To know more about reading tips CLICK HERE